Thursday, November 19, 2009

Berry Berry Streusel Bars-A.K.A. Granola Bars

Years ago, I was given this recipe from a friend. I quickly fell in love with it. I have played with it and played with it until it has become a favorite snack/dessert/breakfast treat for all of us. It is originally from QuakerOats.com. I hope you enjoy as much as we do!

Streusel Bars 2

You are only going to see pictures like this because it went from the pan to all gone in 60 seconds flat. (Have I mentioned my 6'3" 14 yr old who is a walking stomach?)

Streusel Bars 1

You can see the yummy jelly coming up through the topping. Yum!

Berry Berry Streusel Bars - A.K.A. Granola Bars

1 1/2 Cups Oats (old fashioned OR instant-it doesn't matter)
1 1/4 Cups Flour (I like to use half whole wheat flour)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
12 Tbsp. Very Cold Butter (it helps it be crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle)
1 Jar (about 8 oz.) of your favorite Jelly or Jam
1 tsp. flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

1. Mix together oats, flour, and brown sugar.
2. Cut in the butter, like a pie crust. You want the mixture to be crumbly. I use my stand mixer or food processor to help with this.
3. In a greased 8x8 or 9x9 pan, press in about 1/2 to 2/3 of the oat mixture. Save the rest for the topping. Press it in good.
4. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. You want it just barely starting to brown.
5. While that is baking, mix together the jam and 1 tsp. flour. (When I double the recipe, I use a Tbsp. of flour to 16 oz. of jelly). Mix it well.
6. After you pull the crust out of the oven, pour the jam mix all over the top. Spread it out as evenly as possible. If you can help it, try not to get the jelly onto the pan sides. It tends to become a bit sticky.
7. Take the rest of your oat mixture and sprinkle it, using your fingers, all over the top. Cover the jelly with the topping as best you can and gently press it down into the jelly using your hands.
8. Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
9. Cut into squares and enjoy!



For more fun recipes to try, go over to the Grocery Cart Challenge every Thursday for their recipe swap!



6 comments:

  1. wow -- those look wonderful! Thank you for a great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! what a GREAT!!! recipe. I just started making my own granola bars and this is a must try. I always make muffins for the family so they can eat one on the run each morning. I think I'm going to make these for them this week.
    I have become a follower of your blog. I love to share recipes and ideas, come over and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! I hope you enjoy the bars as much as we do. My kids really look forward to me making them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol @ the Walking Stomach!! I have my own walking stomach: Tristan! He is eating like a pig! I fed him a burrito and two tacos and an hour later he was starving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious, like everything you make. I have one of those walking stomach--it's amazing how much they can eat! Missed you today!

    ReplyDelete