Saturday, February 14, 2009

Homemade Stove Top Mac and Cheese

I just love finding good recipes to replace the stuff I won't buy (mac and cheese in a box). I was watching Good Eats one night, because I have pretty much watched it at least once a week for about 5 years now, probably longer. I really like Alton Brown. I love that he gives the science behind the cooking. I will say that I probably won't buy one of his cookbooks because they sort of read like a textbook.

So, like I said I was watching him one night and the show was on how cheese melts. When he came to the Stove Top Mac and Cheese, I was captivated. I had to try it. I mean, not only was it a great replacement to the box crap, it has NO flour. Needless to say (because I am me), I have made a minor change to the original because, well, I just had to.

Easy Mac and Cheese Recipe

Mac and Cheese

1 pound Elbow Macaroni Noodles
4 Tbsp. Butter
4 Eggs
12 oz. Evaporated Milk
1 tsp. Hot Sauce (like Tabasco Sauce)
2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1 tsp. Ground Mustard
Pepper to taste
20 oz. Grated Cheddar/Monterey Jack Blend (this is where I get lazy and buy it already grated.)

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in the noodles. Let cook until al dente. You really don't want the noodles to overcook because then they will collapse when you add the ingredients to it.
2. In the meantime, mix all the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese, together in a medium bowl. Mix well.
3. Drain the noodles and melt the butter in the pot.
4. Put the noodles back into the pot and coat them really well with the butter.
5. While stirring the egg mixture, slowly start dumping in some hot noodles into it. Add about 2 cups of the noodles into the egg mixture while stirring.
6. Add the egg mixture into the pot while stirring the noodles in the pot. You don't want the eggs to scramble.
7. While stirring the stuff in the pot, start adding the shredded cheese by the handful.
8. After all the cheese has been added, stir until it has a smooth Mac and Cheese consistency.

I usually double this recipe every other week. I use 2 pounds of noodles. It makes a great side dish to some dinners, etc. It keeps pretty well in the fridge.

This recipe is linked to The Grocery Cart Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. If you find drool in your keyboard. . . it was me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little (clueless) question: is evaporated milk sweet? I have never bought this kind of milk, so I really have no idea. Come to think of it I don't even know if they sell it here in the Netherlands.

    But the Stove Top Mac and Cheese looks faboloucious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not sweet. You might be thinking of sweetened condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete

About

Teeter
I am happily (it's true) married to my high school sweetheart (known as Hubby).

We have five children:
C, 17 year old boy
A & B, 15 year old twin girls
L, 11 year old boy
M, 6 year old girl

I am currently working on the classes I need to apply to our competitive nursing program.

I understand I am crazy.

More about me.