Sunday, September 20, 2009

Grain Mills

I desperately want to grind my own wheat. I have for quite some time. Home ground flour is so much more nutritious for you than the stuff we buy at the store. So, I decided I am going to start looking at them and comparing. You know what I found? They are EXPENSIVE.

I have certain criteria for a grain mill.
1. I really want an electric one, but it needs to have manual capabilities because you never know what the future will hold. If my power EVER goes out for and extended amount of time, I want to be able to grind wheat.

2. I want it to do a good job. It doesn't have to be a top of the line great machine, but it does need to be a good one.

So, based on those two points these are the two I am leaning towards.

The Country Living Mill - This one is like the Mac Daddy of manual grinders. It grinds wheat super fine. It has electric capabilities. It's made here in the USA. It has a great warranty. Unfortunately, it has to be bolted down to something extremely solid. It also costs $400 and the electric capabilities? $425 for the motor kit. So, total $800 for this mill. OUCH! I can't even pretend this is in my price range.

The Family Grain Mill - This is the one I picked. For $259 it has an electric base and it has a manual base. I love that it does both. The reviews I have seen are good, not great, but good. For instance, it doesn't grind quite fine enough to make a cake. Oh well. I don't bake cakes very often. I bet if I ran the flour through it again it would make it fine enough. But, not a big deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment