Monday, September 21, 2009

The New Curriculum

This will be our first week using our new curriculum. I ordered the same curriculum L was using at school so the transition would be easy and he would already know what is expected. Hopefully, this won't backfire.

For math we are using Saxon Math. Saxon is a great program if you start with it from the beginning, or at least at a younger age. They teach things a little differently and use strange wording, which makes it hard helping the older kids because I don't have the saxon knowledge to help them. The teacher's manual is GREAT! It explains things very well, so far. I ordered the kit from Rainbow Resource. They had a great price and it came with the basics you need for the year. If you homeschool, you need to order the Rainbow Resource bible catalog. It's GIGANTIC and full of such wonderful information.


The teacher's manual is on the right. As you can see, they are both a good size.

For English we are going to give Shurley English a try. I have heard it is hard to use, which worries me and I know absolutely nothing about it. Luckily, even if I don't know how to use it, my eight year old does. He will be able to tell me how to do it, I hope.


Anybody else think it's weird the Teacher's Manual is 3 times the size of the
student workbook?!?

For everything else we are using Core Knowledge. I love Core Knowledge. I did order the teacher's books and worksheets from the company. With both the Hubby and I in school, I need this to be as easy as possible.

I will check back in soon and let you all know how it's going and what my thoughts are on the curriculum choices. Right now, the kid is still very excited to be home and that breaks my heart because it means school was not a good experience for him and I left him there for 2 years. He has not once asked to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment